The Holy Transfiguration of Our Lord Russian Orthodox Church sets on a bluff, overlooking Cook Inlet, in the village of Ninilchik. Services were established by the Russian missionary, Grigorii Kvasnikoff, upon his arrival in Alaska in 1846. Grigorii, and his wife Mavra, settled in Ninilchik in 1847.
The present building was dedicated in 1901, and services are still held today. It may not have the grandeur of a European cathedral, but it serves the same purpose.